Former Minister of Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro has dragged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) before the Federal High Court in Lagos over the alleged seizure and detention of his properties.
Obanikoro, who filed the suit alongside his family members is urging the court presided over by Justice Abdulazeez Anka is seeking a declaration that the forceful seizure of his personal effects constitutes a gross violation of his rights.
Other applicants in the suit are Obanikoro’s wife Moroophat, his sons Gbolahon, Babajide and wife Fati.
The applicants are asking the court for an order setting aside the forceful detention of their properties since June 14 last year.
They are also demanding an “unreserved public apology”, as well as N100million as general damages.
The former minister and his family are further praying the court for an order restraining EFCC from arresting, detaining or harassing them or entering their premises again to seize their properties.
The EFCC had alleged that Obanikoro received suspicious payments from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) through companies linked to the family.
For instance, the commission said $1,018,000 was transferred from the ONSA to Mob Integrated Services on March 18, 2015.
However, the family in the suit they file though their lawyer Lawal Pedro (SAN), said the documents and properties EFCC seized “have nothing to do with the ONSA.”
They claimed that the commission violated Regulation 13 of the EFCC (Enforcement Regulation) 2010 which provides that it shall apply and obtain a court order to enter and search any premises.
But the EFCC in a counter affidavit to the suit urged the court to dismiss the suit, insisting that it acted within the law.
Justice Anka adjourned until March 28 for ruling.